Sunday, May 11, 2008

Philadelphia for a few Hours

So I went to Philly with my best friend as she works there and needed to do some overtime. I decided to go with her. I have only ever been to Broad Street in Philly to walk around before. It is a trendy, young, wild street and has eclectic things to see. Although it is a fun place to walk up and down, today, we were going to Center City. This is quite a distance from Broad Street.

We boarded a Train in Absecon, NJ, Where we live. It was a fast and comfortable ride that takes us to Philly Penn Station. The trains are well worn and a bit on the grungy side, but, not bad and it gives me that wonderful chance to ease drop on some strange conversations. Side note... A woman wearing a tee shirt that's says 50% Single... Gets a lot of attention apparently. So she informed her train riding companion. You know I believe it.

We arrive to Penn station and hop a smaller train so we can get to Center City. It was quick. Kate armed me with a map and some simple directions. I checked into he building for a much needed potty break. Anyone who works with Kate and reads this don't worry, I only took some chocolate from your cubicles. he he he

She went to work and I headed out. I walked quite a distance to the Trader Joe's Market and made some purchases of items we don't have at the Jersey Shore. No Trader Joe's in Atlantic City... Darn it. Up and down the aisles and I got to meet a Standard Poodle that is a Service Dog to a handicapped Woman. Dog was sweet woman ...well not so sweet. She did not mind my meeting her dog at all, but, she seemed hostile toward everyone else around her. Very rude and demanding. I don't think being in an electric wheel chair automatically gives you mean rights.

My own opinion of course. I made my purchases and move on. I decided to go to Barnes and Noble Book store by Rittenhouse Square. I walked along a wonderful Quaint and OLD Chestnut Street or 22nd street not sure which at this point. The doorways to some of the historic houses just blew my mind with their ornate caved stone entries and wide think doors. I did take a few pictures and would post them if I knew how yet. I saw where the Mutter's Museum is and want to go back there terribly!! Go Google it right now. FUN STUFF. I did not go in because I want to see it with Van and Kate. I hit Barnes and Noble and bought a few books. I am a Book freak. Thank Goodness I bought a cloth shopping bag at Trader Joe's.

I did see quite a few homeless and strange individuals, but, it is a city and they are everywhere. One was sleeping right on a sidewalk with filthy bare feet and a jacket over his head. I will not soon forget that. There was also a man singing really loud on a corner, and not well either, and the man who apparently wanted to bitch slap everyone everywhere in the world I don't know I kind of believed him...Mental Illness is a sad thing and sorry if I offend you... also kind of funny in an odd city sort of way.

There was a protest at City Hall, I did not get close enough to find out what it was because it was loud and they were all wearing black and every time a car honked they would all yell. Some had masks on and they all held signs that said "Fair Game is not Fair". I walk by without ever knowing what they were going off on.... They had a Purple flag waving over a Pirate flag... Very strange indeed. Anyway that about covers my adventure for one day. OH except I met two fantastic Pugs Higgens and Pugsley.... I went back to Kate's office and we packed up our goods and trained it back to Absecon where I took two Advil for my sore feet and hips and sat on my tired butt for the evening. :)

No comments: